Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Little African Violet

Anybody who knows me from college days or early married life might also know that my plant skills have been meager at best. I generally did not purchase plants as I knew full well the futility of it all. However, three years ago many plants and flowers filled my home as gifts in memoriam to our precious little Hannah. One plant in particular has come to mean a great deal to me. We received an African violet. In years past, I have managed to snuff out many a violet. This little violet came so near the clutches of death that I was quite surprised to see that the remaining remnant had any life left in it at all. Through three years of vacations, overwaterings, underwaterings and sometimes neglect it has survived. This has to be some kind of record! To my delight, every few months it would even bless me with a few flowers. In October this determined little plant absolutely took off. The number of leaves doubled. The flowers have been BEAUTIFUL with twice the profusion of ever before. There were new flowers forming all the time lying in wait to bloom as soon as another began to wain. It has been incredible. This has been happening to our little African Violet ever since October - with NO let up, no break in the action. There has not been one day that this little flower has not been FILLED with blooms in the past 4 months! What, you might wonder, is the secret to my growing success? Did I find some new food? Did I stumble on the perfect watering schedule? No. The only thing that has been different in our house since October is the new little daughter that has blessed our family. Aliya's referral was in October, right at the same time little African Violet came alive in full force. I just think that is the neatest thing. Thank you God for the blessings in our lives - big and small.

No comments: